I wanted to take a few minutes to upload what Rob and I are calling the “Ultimate” Orbiter. Just so everyone knows, this design I did completely from the ground up making dozens of minute modifications for easier FDM-ability thus it is completely our own intellectual property.
The special sauce that gives our design a huge advantage over the original Orbiter designed by Lorincz are as follows:
- The clearances, have been dramatically improved
- Perfect BMG alignment, including along the spider gear shaft, the latch detent clearances in X & Y directions
- 100% contrainted filament path from entry to nozzle
- Can be professionally SLS or MJF printed (We know, we’ve done it =))
- Much easier to FDM print! (HINT HINT: We suggest 20-30 degrees of tilt, front bearing facing toward the bed plate)
- Can be directly mounted to a stock Troodon or one with the A3DP Gantry upgrade parts
There are two versions of the housing:
1.) 14x14mm Bearings, this will match up for those that bought the “Formbot Troodon DDE Upgrade” kit from Jake/Tom/Peter on Cults3D.
2.) 14x16mm Bearings, this matches the “OEM” Formbot/Vivedino DDE kit that can be purchased or came installed on your Troodon.
Files for 14×16 Version will be coming soon…. Hang in there =)
Rob & Jake both have hundreds of hours testing this new orbiter and we are ready for you to give it a shot for yourself
If you have any question, please drop us a line in the comments!